Tuesday 10 April 2012

in the eye of the beholder

by Adi Cloete


left: Rene Magritte 'The False Mirror"
There is a road from the eye to the heart that does not go through the intellect.  ~Gilbert Keith Chesterton



As someone in a creative career,one has to consider 'beauty' on a regular basis... 
one's own ideas about beauty, but also creating beautiful things based on other peoples perceptions of beauty. 


A few years ago I made this ring, not intentionally for me, but it has ended up on my finger.  Happily. 
Its a swivel ring with the words 'create' and 'beauty' on either side.I love it because it says a lot about me and how I see that what I do.

create/beauty ring by Adi Cloete (Firepetals) 

Beauty inspires and bring lightness to the heart. BUT as the saying goes: 
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 
And one person's ecstasy could be another's nightmare.
Beauty is personal and relative.


Eye Miniature Brooch. Anonymous. Watercolour on ivory. Tears made out of diamonds. 1790-1810
















"bright eyes" by ElaineCK   www.elaineck.com


In certain creative expressions I think the creation of un- beautiful things can still be tolerated (or ignored), but there are a couple of things that cannot be forgiven.

Using a natural resource and making it into something horrid should not be allowed.Wood and stone cannot be melted down like jewellery made from precious metals, where at least the metal can be re-used.
And then there are 2 other genres that often produce some challenging moments for me: bad ceramics and architectural monsters.

So keep an eye out: creating beauty should be handled responsibly, as far as possible!
Rainbow Eye by ThErEaLDoLLyFrikka, Eye of time brooch by Dali & I dream of Freedom by loopyluv



When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other.  ~Chinese Proverb

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adi, I love your amazing pieces and would like to order a specific piece from you, will you please send me your email address or phone number to ginapotgieter@gmail.com, I can't find your contact details.
    Kind regards
    Gina

    ReplyDelete