Tuesday 20 March 2012

Leto venus



I (jane) am taking a break, visiting my parents on the southern Cape coast. Frequently, inspiring things arrive unexpectedly. Yesterday, a beautiful moth, Leto venus, alighted on the table amongst the work in progress, books in transit, and unopened mail.



The larvae of these moths feed only on Keurboom trees, and the pink-purple of their flowers and the silvery patches on their bark seem to magically reappear on the adult moth. The silver patterns on its wings are literally like flakes of pure silver leaf.


Thanks to Geoff McIlleron for the photos

2 comments:

  1. Dear friend,

    I search for a long time this moth to present it to my french students. Could you please say me if you could sold one (or a couple) to me or to say how to get it please ?
    Best gretings.
    Stéphane from France

    ReplyDelete