Sunday 30 October 2011

In Honour of Jewellery and Gemstones

" It's always darkest before Dawn"
This photo was taken just after I had competed my apprenticeship when I was still deciding whether to choose jewellery as a career or not when I realized it had already chosen me.

Simple
Author unknown                                                           
Tis a gift to be simple
'tis a gift to be free
Tis a gift to come down
where you want to be,
And if you find yourself
in a place just right,
twill be in a valley
of love and delight!
                                                                       
The above poem best describes how I feel about being a jeweller and how I have found my valley of love an delight in my workshop and behind my workbench.

I decided to research what famous people have been quoted saying throughout time about jewellery, gemstones and creativity. I hope you enjoy reading through these quotes I certainly found some gems among them....

" The earth is like a beautiful bride who needs no manmade jewels to heighten her loveliness." Kahlil Gibran

If wisdom and diamonds grew on the same tree we could soon tell how much men loved wisdom" Lemuel K. Washburn, is the Bible worth reading and Other Essays, 1911
Star Sapphire
"Morning that first sapphire dome of glow" Ck Williams
These gems have life in them; their colours speak, say what words fail of" George Elliot
Boulder Opal in the rough
"As though pure white snow flashed and sparkled with the color of bright ruddy wine, and was overcome by it's radiance" Author unknown; about Opal
" The hues of the Opal, the light of the diamond are not to be seen if the eye is to near" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now the melancholy God protect thee, and the tailor make thy garments of changeable taffeta, for thy mind is Opal" William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
  
Black Opal
 "Mysterious Opals contain the wonders of the skies-sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths" Author unknown
Australian Opal
 " When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in the contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure" Peter Marshall

"A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a witty person, but a pebble in the hands of a fool" Author Unknown

 "My crown is in my heart, not in my head,
Nor decked with diamonds and Indian stones,
Nor to be seen, my crown is called contentement,
A crown it is, that seldom kings enjoy"  William Shakespeare


  "In the age of acorns, before the time of the Ceres, a single barley-corn  had been of more value to mankind than all the diamonds in the mines of India" Henry Brooke

" Perhaps time's definition of coal is the diamond" Kalil Gibran

"Proverbs are diamond gems gathered in the diamond districts of the mind" William R. Alger

                      
"All art is autobiographical, the pearl is the autobiography of the oyster" Federico Fellini

"In diving to the bottom of pleasure we bring up more gravel than pearls" Honore de Balzac

" The jeweler allows me to wear the sapphire blue lake on my finger, the emerald green leaves around my neck, and take the citrine sunset with me wherever I go. Jewellery has become my daytime link with nature in an office with no windows. And if I have to work late, there's nothing like diamond stars and a pearl full moon against an onyx sky" Astrid Alauda, "Office with no windows"
 "Human salvation lies in the hands of the creativity maladjusted" Martin Luther king

"Creativity is not the finding of a thing but the making something of it after it has been found" James Russell Lowell





No comments:

Post a Comment