Thursday 4 August 2011

A is for Adi.









What did I get myself into? This was the first question that came to mind when I started my apprenticeship at Galaxy in Cape Town. Little did I know that I subconsciously had chosen the trade that would become my passion for life.









After 6 years of training and working as a model maker for a commercial jewellery manufacturer, during which I was thoroughly trained in all techniques, skills, equipment and materials of the trade (and had the certificate to prove it), I decided that it was time to move on and out these skills to a more creative use.
I started working for myself and have never looked back, even though it has been tough and an uphill battle at times. But I love what I do and more importantly I am in the fortunate position to being able to do what I love.









In my work I explore my love for working with metal, pattern & detail, combining it with form and texture. I also enjoy creating sculptural work to use in adornment. In combination with metals like silver, gold and bronze I use gemstones, wood, found objects and glass beads. My jewellery combines bold strong form, with intricate patterns or detail that is engraved and oxidized.










India is a great source of inspiration for me. During a 6 month stint in a workshop in Noida (Deli)I was overwhelmed by the amazing skill of local jewellery makers and their fascination for detail, which I adopted.
For more info, images and inspiration please visit my website www.firepetals.com or make an appointment to visit me in my studio, that I share with friend and business partner Adeline Joubert in Roodebloem Rd in Woodstock, Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment