Monday 29 August 2011

Heidi - architect of urban armor

Remember those kick-butt (literally) boots that Sigourney Weaver wore in Alien?
All metal buckles and leather - the stuff that takes you through the roughest bit of any galaxy - I'd definitely count those as one of my inspirations for Urbanative jewels.
Life may be a struggle but that doesn't mean that one can't defy the daily grind in style. After all, our modern armor of choice consists of our clothing, shoes and jewellery.









My studies began with architecture but finished with a degree in interior design. Add ten years in the fashion industry and my passion for design as an engineering challenge, paired with the exuberance of fashion, was born.
Since I love to get my hands dirty and 'make stuff', my journey took me to Cape Peninsula University of Technology, where I completed a B Tech cum laude in Jewellery Design and Manufacture.









Something that has ever since occupied my mind is the development of an African jewellery design language, or the lack thereof. How is it that Africa is such a great source of inspiration for designers from all over the world yet African inspired images and forms are not valued for their inspiration in our own country?
If excellence, outstanding craftsmanship and passion are indicators of what contemporary African jewellery design has to offer, then South African jewellery designers can positively contribute to the growing appreciation for African design.









I am the resident goldsmith at the Gold of Africa Barbier-Mueller Museum in Cape Town. The African gold artifacts in the museum's collection retain all their original beauty, magic and relevance to this day. To be surrounded by this craftsmanship and beauty reminds me that I belong to a long line of gold workers that have captured people's imaginations for centuries.
If you would like to see more of my work, or are keen to do a jewellery making class at the museum, email me on idieh@mweb.co.za or visit my website www.urbanative.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment