Monday 12 September 2011

Adeline. Jewellery - Literally









Growing up as a curly red-head is a challenge for starters. My personal defense system was humor, which grew into a passion for puns and love for laughter. At the tender age of ten I announced my career choice after watching a TV-program on goldsmithing. My parents however, did not take me seriously and so my journey began years later as a first year in Fine Arts at the University of Pretoria.









I realized that I was missing something fundamental in my second year, and I don't mean the lecturer that the university failed to install. Doing my major in sculpture confirmed to me that I really wanted to do small-scale-sculptures in metal - aka jewellery. But first I obtained my degree in Archaeology. My pondering was put on hold by an opportunity to go to Germany as an au-pair. Add Bier & Lederhosen, a good measure of travel and there you have it: an awesome time! Based on this great experience, my wanderings were continued and I went to work in London for a year.









At a moment of clarity (& Chianti) in Italy, I made the decision to move to Cape Town and enroll at CPUT. One phone call to my dad and by the time I arrived in Cape Town, in my trusted white Toyota, he had organized everything - thanks dad! When I met Adeleen Cloete, a red-headed goldsmith herself, I knew immediately that we shared much more than just a first name. Since that day Adi and I (Jubi, as I am known by my friends) have been sharing several workshops and in 2005 went big and opened Firepetals-creative jewellery together.









Practicality is one of the major objectives for my jewellery. I believe that everyday jewellery should be easy to wear to the point of never wanting to take it off - it should become part of the wearer's personality. I choose to give my designs a narrative and often find that they become conversation starters. These miniature sculptures are like "take-away-art" and through these I attempt to push the boundaries of jewellery as far as I possibly can. The births of my two children have inspired a jewellery range I call the "Liefie" range (meaning beloved or sweetheart). It consists of baby clothes on a washing line, worn as a necklace. The latest range, soon to be revealed is 'Cake-Town' and you might just want some whipped cream with that ... Visit me in our workshop/showroom in Roodebloem Rd (please call for an appointment) 021 447 2025 or go to our website www.firepetals.com

1 comment: